The Facebook Platform Roadmap in 2012
Carl Sjogreen, Director, Product Management, Facebook
Key Quote: “Facebook wants Open Graph to be a simple process for developers, so that the focus can be put on developing great apps.”
- Three major areas we’re working on this year – Open Graph, Mobile, Games
- Open Graph. Plays to two audiences. People who use facebook – for them, it’s a tool to use applications that are deeply integrated with facebook. It’s based on the belief that facebook is a tool to tell your story, both using media on and off facebook. We think that open graph has the potential to take a new class of apps and pull them into the facebook space.
- Vision for how developers should consider open graph opportunities: One of the design centers of open graph is to allow people to build cool new experiences, easily, with deep integration to facebook. No independent channel optimization is necessary.
- Going forward, there will still be ways to optimize open graph. But fundamentally the use case will move to more of an integrated app communication channel.
- Facebook wants Open Graph to be a simple process for developers, so that the focus can be put on developing great apps.
- Games is very important to facebook. They are the shining example of how social integration and design can be transformative to an industry, such as gaming. Games also drive reengagement.