Coming up starting on May 19th, 2014 I’ll be guiding a ten day adventure across Israel with Birthright Israel and Israel Outdoors. During the trip, I’ll be working with two other expert staff members – Allison Bell and Asher Drimmer, traveling with a group of 40 guests. Years ago, I actually participated as a guest in this exact same trip, and it’s an exciting honor to now have the opportunity to lead it. Israel Outdoors calls this itinerary “Israel By Bike“, but it’s a lot more than just that. We’ll be biking, hiking, swimming, sightseeing, and relaxing all throughout Israel, experience as much as the country has to offer. In addition to the many activities and locations we’ll be discovering, we’ll also be developing our own personal relationships with both the land and the people of Israel. During our trip, we’ll be joined by a few members of the Israeli Defense Force, to learn firsthand what their lives are like living in Israel and serving in the military – a unique opportunity to make deep connections.
- Meet and greet at Tel Aviv’s Caesarea – The beachside amphitheater
- Traditional vibes while staying at a Kibbutz Guest House in the Galilee
- Exploring the mystical city of Tzfat
- Biking along the winding banks of the Jordan River
- Rafting the upper Jordan River
- Ascend the Golan Heights
- Hike down the lush Nahal El Al Canyon on the Golan
- Winetasting at the Golan Heights Winery
- Exploring the Jordan Valley
- Tour of the Old City’s legendary Jewish Quarter
- Personally experiencing The Western Wall
- Shopping at the Mahane Yehuda market
- A group night out on Jerusalem’s Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall
- Secluded stay at the Dead Sea Hotel
- Sunrise ascent to Masada via the Snake Path
- Hike to the desert waterfalls at Ein Gedi
- Bike along the chalky desert trails of Mount Sodom
- Floating time along the beaches of the Dead Sea
- Camel trekking and traditional Bedouin hafla dinner feast
- Explore Nahalat Binyamin artists market and street festival
- Bike the Burma Road trail in the Jerusalem foothills
- Crawl through the archeological caves at Hirbet Midras
- Walking tour of historic Jaffa on the Mediterranean shores
- …. and much much more.
We’ll be able to squeeze all of this into a quick ten day timespan with a bit of crafy planning, a dedicated transportation and security team, and our expert and experienced Israeli liasion. Israel Outdoors has been running this trip for years, and they’re the absolute best in the business – a pleasure to work with them.
Next up in preparing for the trip now that the itierary is set, everybody’s airline tickets have been locked in, and everything is in motion is to pack! Shortly I’ll be posting my quick packing list of what I’m brining with me on the adventure. I’ll be traveling ultralight, and ultraversatile to adapt to the variety of situations we’ll encounter while traveling. Stay tuned!
Interested in your own adventure in Israel and the Middle East?
One former traveler’s home videos from Summer 2013: