Today was our first day testing field equipment, and going through avalanche rescue training. It’s been a long day, it’s late, and we’re getting up early tomorrow morning – so a few quick notes:
- For the first time this trip, put climbing skins on my telemark skis. Also switched the bindings to climbing mode.
- Tested functioning of our avalanche trancievers, and went over tranciever search theory in parking lot.
- Did some quick skiing into the backcountry to find a good slope to look at snow and practice on.
- Practiced finding buried “victims” with our avalanche trancievers, probes and shovels.
- Practiced shoveling technique.
- Spent a few hours in town this evening purchasing last minute gear and supplies.
- Kate made indian food tonight. After dinner we relaxed as a group watching snow film “The Fine Line“.