Today was our first full day in Peru. I’m updating via iPhone4, and blog posts will come in the form of field notes.
– Flew from JFK overnight to Lima, met up w/ Chris in Lima airport.
– We flew from Lima to Cusco, got ride from airport to our guesthouse Casa De Campo.
-Amazing view from Casa De Campo, overlooks the whole city. Attached photo is a 360 panorama of the view from our patio.
– Walked into town, grabbed lunch at spit roast chicken joint Los Toldos.
– Walked over to El Convento de Santo Domingo Del Cusco Qorikancha. A former ancient mayan temple with meticulous stonework, turned into a post-columbus church.
– Stopped by the South American Explorers Club clubhouse to discuss mountain routes and conditions for our upcoming trek.
– Stopped by convenience store for more water, on our way back to the hotel. We’re staying at 11400 feet elevation here in Cusco, so adjusting to the sudden change in altitude, coming from our homes at sea level, has been a challenge. Lots of water and taking it easy on the first day.
– Relaxed at guesthouse for a bit, then went out to dinner at Pacha Papa in San Blas Plaza. Great lamb stew, tamales, and live music.
– Relaxing around the fire pit at the guesthouse tonight.
– Waking up early tomorrow morning to mountain bike up to the Moray Salt Mine.