Sailing the Leeward Islands – my daily log. During this trip, I took some brief notes every day at the end of the day, using the notepad app on my Apple iPhone 4. Enjoy
For the rest of the photos and video, and daily summaries, be sure to read the Sailing the Leeward Islands Trip Summary
– Woke up at the La Quinta in Miami – got Wendys via airport van through the drive-through.
– Met up with Sean waiting at the gate at the Miami airport. Surprisingly, neither of us grabbed anything at the duty free shop.
– Flight from Miami to SXM was somewhat uneventful. Landing, me and Sean met up with Zac, Dyana, Evan waiting at baggage claim. They had flown JetBlue direct from NYC
– We got a ride from the SXM airport with Noel, who was a cool. immediately after exiting the airport, we stopped by the Crew House to pick up our 6th and final crew member Evelyn. Evelyn is new to our crew this year, and we’re psyched to have her with us!
– Drove for an hour around the island to avoid crazy traffic, and finally made it to Moorings base in Oyster bay.
– Our Classy Beneteau 43.3 seems like a great boat – although there’s not as much storage as we really want. Also, there are 3 heads – one too many.
– Cabin assignments – me and Evelyn are in the forward cabin. Zac and Dyana are in the port aft cabin, and Sean and Zac in the starboard aft cabin.
– After depositing our gear in the boat, me, Evelyn, Dy and Evan got back in the cab and went shopping for provisions.
– We spent about $600 on provisions, enough for 6 people for 10 days, minus a couple dinners, which we’re planning on doing on shore at various bays we’ll be sailing to.
– Dinner tonight was next to the moorings marina at The dingy dock, where we got good planters punch and fish n chips.
– Tonight, we’re all beat from a long day of travel. We went over the charts briefly, and are now going to bed.
– Tomorrow, chart briefing, boat walk through, scuba organization, and setting sail.