This week marks the beginning of my brief travels across the United States for the summer, and naturally, I started in Cincinnati, Ohio, where I grew up. My time in CIncinnati was brief, so here are a few notes:
- Stayed at the house I grew up in, which was nice, but strange – the rest of the family is out traveling around too, so nobody was home. Kind of eerie sitting in the kitchen in the middle of the night in a big dark empty house.
- Picked up my 1995 Toyota 4Runner from the mechanic – spent even more money on it, having the starter and back window motor replaced. It’s hard to rationalize putting more money into an old car with 150k miles on it, but then again, I don’t think I’d be able to get a big SUV to haul around gear for any less anyway, so..
- Had a great time hanging out with high school friend Jessica Earley. She was nice enough to pick me up from the airport, and then we grabbed Skyline Chili. Skyline is a Cincinnati institution, and definitely is an acquired taste – but it’s the best. I wake up in the middle of the night in NYC craving it.
- Jess and I also went to visit friend Sung at his restaurantSung Korean Bistro in downtown Cincinnati, and then went to the newer Star Lanes at Newport on the Levee to bowl a few games. Very interesting seeing the nightlife scene now that I’m out of NYC.
- Caught up with childhood friend Ben Greenberg, who lived a few houses away growing up.
- Got a haircut from old friend Pamela McCoy, who I think has been cutting my hair since i was 10. Great seeing her!
- Was amazed as I became a person of Walmart and Target, and found this gem..
- Was in Cincinnati, Ohio from June 19th – 22nd, 2011
Next stop: Chicago
Listening to: La Roux – Quicksand (Hype Machine Link)
Comments are closed.