Today we topped out on Salcantay Pass at 15,253 feet, record for both of us. Notes:
– Woke up at 5:30 as soon as it was light enough to see.
– Finished the rest of the pasta for breakfast, in addition to some oatmeal.
– The hike up to Salkantay Pass was extremely steep, but the horses and burros carrying tourist’s gear seemed to have no problem passing us, as we hiked up with all of our gear on our backs.
– The weather on Salcantay Pass was intense – horizontal blowing snow and dense fog.
– We spent a few minutes on the pass, and then started the long, rock, steep hike down the other side.
– Rain and fog rolled in for our descent, and almost our entire 18km hike was wet and cold.
– We ate spicy Japanese ramen in an Andean thatched roof hut.
– Tonight we’re camping at a small campground in the mountains, and tomorrow hiking another 15km or so.